What is companioning?
Our companions provide 24/7 mentoring support. We provide specialized mentors to work with clients who need to be monitored 24/7 and therapeutically supported to ensure their safety and/or maintain abstinence but may not be capable of attending a residential inpatient program. We provide custom tailored solutions which look very different for each client’s unique needs. Typically this involves 24/7 live-in care so that we can structure our client’s time and recreate the supportive environment that inpatient treatment offers. This can take place in the comfort of a client’s home or potentially in an AirBnB apartment close by if the dynamics at home are detrimental to the client’s well-being. We can also travel with clients if they are scheduled to go on vacation or must travel for work in some capacity. We offer this service all over the country and can have a mentor travel anywhere within the United States to provide 24/7 therapeutic support within 24 hours of receiving a request for services.
What does companioning entail?
The live-in companion program is designed to support our clients by pairing them with a mentor (companion) that they can connect to, someone who has lived a similar lifestyle, experienced the struggles the client is currently facing, and has made it to the other side, who is now capable of living a healthy, purposeful, and fulfilling life after overcoming their own obstacles.This allows our mentors to connect to our clients and speak authentically about their own experiences so that clients can connect to their mentors and feel uniquely understood. Companioning provides a unique opportunity for a client to build a deep and meaningful connection with their mentor in a short period of time, as they will be spending a great deal of time together, allowing them to build trust and a meaningful relationship that ideally will lead to lasting change for the client. Selecting the right mentor for each client is critical to the success of our program, as the pair must be able to relate and enjoy one another in order to form a deep bond of trust and connection. Once trust has been established, this allows for the mentor to help the client make meaningful, lasting changes that will help a client transform the way they view themselves and the way they live their lives on a daily basis.
We provide 24/7 case management as a critical component to companioning, so the client has access to a member of our team other than the mentor at all times. This is crucial to the long-term success of our clients, both for giving the client an unlimited personal resource for their personal issues and having an intermediary between themselves, their family, and their clinical team.
Live in companions conduct daily, weekly, monthly reviews to help establish a client’s progress and develop a plan for sustained and continued growth while taking into consideration the clients needs and input.
In sitting down with families, we strategize to find a location for living that doesn’t greatly disrupt the client’s daily routine but creates the healthiest atmosphere possible for that particular client to achieve their goals. Living conditions consist of the client and the companion. This personal “live in” dynamic helps establish the bond between mentor and client, so that it truly becomes more of a friendship. The mentor is there for support, and to help implement positive growth strategies at all times.
Additionally, companions provide all the necessities to facilitate a productive purposeful life. Companions will help clients become familiar with skills that will ultimately allow them to become independent adults. This can include budgeting and money management, developing educational goals, as well as simply dealing with the ebb and flow of human emotions. Regardless of the affliction the client is facing, a one on one mentor can be the catalyst to long lasting change and redirection towards health and productivity. In short order, most clients begin to become self-sufficient and confident, realities that would have taken a considerable time to achieve outside the personal relationship with a mentor.
We believe one of the pillars of any full and dynamic life is a degree of social interaction and certainly fun. While companions are there to hold the line, it is also their responsibility to make sure that clients stay upbeat and positive, and we have found there is no greater way to create and sustain this attitude then make sure our clients our engaging in fun activities balanced with handling their personal responsibilities.
Who is a fit for companioning?
Types of situations where companions may be used:
- Client has been through multiple treatment centers and is unwilling to go back to residential treatment despite needing 24/7 containment
- Client has been accepted to a residential program but is on a waitlist and has anywhere from a few days to a few weeks before going to treatment, we can provide short-term support to make sure client is safe and contained before being transported to inpatient
- Client needs to be monitored and provide proof of sobriety and healthy mental health for legal/custody battle. We can provide testing and documentation attesting to the client’s state of mind for use in court or legal disputes
- Parents are feeling unsafe or incapable of monitoring their children and need support in ensuring the safety and well-being of their child. Companions can be called in to provide a buffer between parent and child and ensure the well-being of the entire family system.
- Client would benefit from treatment but needs to travel for work/school and cannot afford to take time off- we bring treatment to them in whatever format is most convenient for them without interrupting their daily life/schedule
- Client has needs discrepancy in treatment and cannot be seen entering/exiting a treatment facility
- Client needs short term transport to/from treatment and needs to be monitored
Advantages of companioning
- 24/7 support (can provide 2 separate mentors who will work in 12-hour shifts ensuring there is always someone awake monitoring the client)
- Can provide services anywhere/anytime within 24 hours of request in a discrete, safe setting
- Flexible, adaptable, and customizable to service whatever the unique needs of each client may be
- Build out a treatment team to address clients specialized needs (i.e. individual therapist, trauma specialist, DBT or CBT therapist, nutritionist, psychiatrist, personal trainer and/or yoga/meditation teacher, etc.) essentially recreating the services one would receive in an inpatient setting
- Allows individual to remain in the comfort of their own home while still being held accountable for their sobriety and overall well-being
- Personalized 24/7 attention of a companion allows clients opportunity to build deep and meaningful connection with their companions which in turn effects long term lasting change